Monday, February 19, 2018

Meet our new Author Barbi Barnard!

Barbi.jpg

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
              I’m not sure, I did it mainly to have something to read to my children at bedtime. I was prompted by a therapist to keep a journal of things that bothered me. When it was discovered by a friend, they told me it would make a great story, so I changed some names and locations and put it on Amazon.
How long does it take you to write a book?
            I wrote one in three and a half weeks where another took me over eight months. Family always comes first and sometimes I don’t get to write as much as I want.
What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?
            If it is flowing well, I forget everything including eating. I sit for hours and just write. My favorite spot is on the couch with everything in front of me.
What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
            I plot everything out. I make notes on post-its and place them on the monitor. I pick my location, Character’s names and features, and have the ages all down. Then when I start writing, I forget all about them and just let the characters tell the story.
How do your books get published?
            I upload them to Amazon myself. I tried the publisher and was treated poorly, and promises were broken. I would rather be a self-published writer than go through that again.
Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
            My life. My kids. A comment made by someone. Almost anything can spark an idea. My brother-in-law has given me a character that my fan page just love. I hope to have that story done soon.
            My first published book was a few years ago, and I was 47. I have been writing since I was 9 but nothing I kept or was written for the public.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
            Read! I read a lot. I read 4 to 5 books a week and if they are a series I have to read them all or I get jumpy wondering what’s going on with them. I find it hard to put a book down till I reach the end. My favorite Author keeps me well supplied with books, and I have put my own writing aside to read a new one from her.
What does your family think of your writing?
            I don’t receive the support to write daily like I want, but they are proud of me. They also worry I might use personal stories in my books. My Father is my biggest supported followed by my daughter-in-law.
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
            I had a rude awakening when I uploaded my first book. I thought it would just be a walk in the park. Had no clue how to promote myself or where I could post my book at. For three months it was only posted on my Facebook page. I had someone send me an email and give me pointers and helpful suggestions to get my book out in front of the public.
How many books have you written?
Which is your favorite?
 I have seven full books written, two short stories just for the fan page and an excerpt in an Anthology for BACA published. I like them all but two stand out. Mercy’s Angel’s: Elizabeth is my gut-wrenching story, and I think it was the one that made people notice me. His Prerogative is the one I love the best. I think it was the best story I wrote, and I hope to visit that world again.
Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
            Take everyone’s advice that wants to give it to you. Someone always knows more than you. They can give you places and people that will open opportunities for you. Never give up! A bad review from one person will hurt your heart, but it’s just an opinion. It doesn’t make you bleed or stop breathing. Skip it and go on with your life.
Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
            I hear from readers daily. I have some good people on the fan page, and they keep me motivated and writing more. I have had some kooks with outrageous requests that made me question the sanity of readers. I have had women tell me they were in an abusive relationship and after reading about Elizabeth they now think they can ask for the help they need to get safe. I have had people email me asking if I can pass on a message to get their loved one bailed out of jail and even received applicants for a cooks positions when a character died. Some are funny, and others are sad, but it makes me smile to know I wrote something that touched someone enough to write to me.
Do you like to create books for adults?
            Yes. I tried a children’s book, and I had a lot of trouble cleaning up the language that I used and the situations. Writing for adults comes easier for me. I have a dirty sense of humor and a mouth to go along with it. I enjoy the raunchy jokes and have no trouble holding my own in a conversation that most would be embarrassed by.
What do you think makes a good story?        
            The plot! I want a beginning and long drawn out story to get the details and a finish that ends it with no questions left unanswered.  I like the Alpha males with the over the top protective vibe, but I don’t like the weak females that need their hand held to make it across the street. The drama is great, but I detest a cheating spouse and want to see revenge if they are caught.
As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
            An accountant. I wanted a job where I didn’t have to deal with people on a daily basis. I thought having a closet type place to work would be perfect. I like numbers and math and thought I would do great there. I have an accounting degree and have never used it.
 Any books in the works?
            I have three works-in-progress at the moment. Two are new, and one is a spin-off of a published book many years later in the story. They all need to be finished, and I am just now getting the time to sit and do that.
 What are your plans for the future?  
I hope to be able to continue to write. I have plans coming up for a girl’s trip to Amarillo TX to meet some fans and spend the week just being with friends. I want to sell my current home and downsize, all the kids are grown and gone from my nest, and want to spend more time with my husband now that he is retired.
860db-line2b10
Barbi confined blurb 2-19-18.jpg
5-star review
By Pam Foley
Life has thrown JoJo a big curveball…her story is dark, her journey to the light is fractured…
Jojo lives in a world with deep-seated memories. She must return to where it all started. Is she facing her problems head on? She wishes for a normal life without the paralyzing fears… she seeks the normal life everyone else seems to enjoy.
Finally, JoJo’ s life seems to have been rebuilt…happiness is within her grasp. Her story has many twists and turns.
Will the memories she worked so hard to confine finally come to light? Or, will her world fracture and take on a life of its own?
We all have hopes and dreams! JoJo has dreams too!
This book grabs you from the beginning, and doesn’t let you go till the last page…enjoy the ride!
860db-line2b10
Barbi confined

“Confined”
by Barbi Barnard
Can be found at:

Amazon – FREE on Kindle Unlimited

No comments:

Post a Comment