Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Meet our new author: Award Winning Author Mary Clark Dalton!! And her book Clarksdale’s Secret Santa

 When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I had a story that stayed on my mind for years. My daughter challenged me to publish it. This was a beginning of my love for writing.

How long does it take you to write a book?
It varies, when inspiration strikes, it doesn’t take long for the story to come together, usually in a couple of weeks.

What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?
I am retired, so I can write basically when I care to.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk
I really get into my characters. I feel like I know them personally!

How do your books get published?
I use an illustrator, editor, and Kindle Direct Publishing

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
My ideas for books come from a child’s perspective, situations they find themselves in, problems they face, choices they need to make.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
Oh my goodness, I didn’t start writing until I was over 50 years old.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I love to spend time with my four grandsons. I love to read, teach children in church.

What does your family think of your writing?
They are very proud of me and my grandson’s love my books.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I learned how the characters come alive, and how mesmerizing they can be.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have written 15 books and to choose would be like picking a favorite child. If I am hard pressed though, I would have to choose my first book, “Rainbow’s Promise,” because he was my inspiration to write.

Do you have any suggestions to help someone become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Never write a story that you are not passionate about, if you struggle then the reader probably will too.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I do hear from many of my readers parents telling me how much their children enjoyed my books.

Do you like to create books for adults?
No, I do mostly childrens and some midle grade.

What do you think makes a good story?
A good story sticks with you after you finish it, and makes you want to read more.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be a Police Woman.

Any books in the works?
Always!

What are your plans for the future?
I plan to continue writing, and to hopefully encourage children to make wise decisions in life to prevent them from making decisions that could ruin their lives.

Clarksdale’s Secret Santa by Mary Clark Dalton

Georgia was excited as she ran home from school. She had only been in Clarksdale for six months, and already she had a new best friend named Carrie. Today she heard the best news ever! Clarksdale has their own secret Santa! Imagine that! There was just one problem for her, the monster who lived next door. Oh, she had never seen him, but the kids at school all talked about him. He never comes out except at night; no one has ever seen his face! She always ran past his house. No, she wasn’t going to let him ruin her excitement. She had more important things to think about, like what did she want Clarksdale’s secret Santa to bring her!

No comments:

Post a Comment