Tuesday, June 23, 2020

NEW! You asked for it, you got it! The next Marice Houston Mystery is LIVE! Marice is back. Like always, trouble seems to follow her around, especially when she gets around her friend, Todd. ~ Room 303 – A Marice Houston Mystery by Dellani Oakes


The third installment in the Marice Houston Mysteries is finally there! There's a little twist, which will be noticed by those who have read Room 103 and Room 203, but no spoilers. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it!
Marice is back. Like always, trouble seems to follow her around, especially when she gets around her friend, Todd. He's trying to move on, after the incident with Orson Roberts a year or so ago, but finding it hard. Fortunately, he's found a lady friend to help him, Emily. Unfortunately, she's got secrets, which catch up with her. When on their first date, Emily is shot, and Todd's up to his ears in freaky intrigue once more. With the help of Marice and friends, he's doing his best to muddle through and find out what went wrong in Room 303.

Excerpt from Room 303
The plaza was full of bright lights and uniformed officers. There were several plain clothes detectives around and it didn't take long to spot the dazzling blonde head they were looking for. Detective Darla Scrivener was standing under a spotlight, speaking to another detective. He was a man that Todd didn't know, so he concluded he was probably from the state police. He knew the local detectives, at least by sight. She saw him and beckoned him over.
"I didn't expect to see you again, under such dire circumstances. How is she?"
"Alive," he reported her injuries.
"She's lucky. How do you know Ms. Snowden?"
To the best of his ability, he explained. "She asked me to come tonight. I'd never seen the movie.... I'm sorry." He took a deep breath to stop the babbling that wanted to bubble up from inside. As precisely as he could, in great detail, he described what he'd seen. Closing his eyes, he could visualize it again as it unfolded.
"Did you hear the report of a weapon?"
"No. She gasped and fell against me. When I realized she was bleeding, I assumed she'd been shot."
"Why?"
"The way her body hit mine. And the fact that no one else was close enough to stab her. I yelled for someone to call the EMTs, and did what I could to slow the bleeding."
"Do you think there was a report from the weapon?"
"The movie was loud enough, I'm not sure I'd have heard it. But no one else reacted, so I don't think so. You know when a gun fires, people run and panic. There was none of that, until I called for help."
She nodded, making notes on her pad. "Do you know who might want to hurt Ms. Snowden?"
"We don't really know one another that well. I've been working with her for the past three months, doing forensics videos for a course. It's been work related. She didn't seem to have difficulty with the staff. Except...."
The officers perked up, including Marice.
"I don't like to say, because it's probably nothing. But the guy I do the videos for—for his class, Borchers? He called me, all pissed off, because he thought she was giving me his job."
"Is she?"
He shook his head. "She asked me yesterday if I wanted it, pending his retirement. I said I'd think about it. It was by no means a done deal. I'm not sure I have time for that, not with the motel. The videos don't take that much out of my month to prepare and tape, so I'm good with that. But everything involved in doing a class? Not sure I want that hassle. It's been eleven years since I was in a classroom. The idea is intimidating as hell."
"Understandable."
"Do we have trajectory?" He looked around, trying to spot someone working on it. "We were standing just over there." He pointed three yards away. His chairs were still there, spattered with blood. "The shot came from over that way." He pointed to the northeast. "Could have been anywhere."
Marice walked over to where Emily had fallen and judged the lay of the bullet in the ground. Siting along her arm, she pointed to a likely building. "Have you checked up there?"
"Not yet. We didn't have any idea where the shot came from. It was at a surprisingly shallow angle."
Todd joined Marice and frowned at the building in question. "Her office is in that building. Room three oh three, on this side. Could someone have taken a shot at her—from her office?"
"Darla, you need to secure that," Marice said, only to find the detective was already doing so.
"May I go?" Todd asked.
"I really can't let you," Darla replied. "But Marice, if you'd like to go, I'd like your eyes on scene."
"Happy to. You'll be okay?" she asked Todd.
"I'll look out for him," Darla promised. "You want a coffee or something?" she asked him.
"I'd really like to sit."
"Sure." She led him to a nearby bench, sitting next to him, giving him a good looking over for the first time. "What on earth are you wearing?"
"Scrubs. I had—blood—all over." He gulped, shaking hand running through his hair. He noticed spots on his glasses and realized it was blood spatter. He tried to clean them on his shirt, but they smeared.
Darla took them away, blew over them and rubbed with a tissue until they were clean.
"Thanks. Didn't think to clean them when I showered."
"Tell me more about Borchers."
He told her what he knew of the man, which was precious little. He knew only slightly more about Emily.
"I feel like I'm completely useless. It all happened so fast."
"You've remembered remarkably well. Just relax."
©2020 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment